Sunday, August 21, 2005

Something Jesus Could Not Resist

I can't resist smiling when my little son giggles. I can't resist smelling my wife's hair when I hug her. I can't resist an invitation to play basketball with friends (although, sometimes I have to resist). What about Jesus? Did he have anything like that? Did he have anything that he couldn't resist doing?
One of my favorite Jesus stories has turned out to be one that normally gets passed by without much thought. It is found in all three of the synoptics, and in Luke it is in chapter 6. The basic rundown of the story is that the Pharisees are ticked off at Jesus for letting his disciples "work" on the Sabbath by rubbing grain between their fingers. Tensions are high and the Pharisees start to look for something that they can catch Jesus doing so that they can technically get him on a charge and eliminate him from inconveniencing their lives.
Jesus is in the synagogue. So are the Pharisees. So is a man with a withered hand. When the Pharisees see this ailing man, they smile and whisper to each other the good news: "Here's our chance to catch Jesus in the act, healing on the Sabbath."
Funny thing is that this man with the deformed hand was not up front or even in an interchange with Jesus yet. So, how did the Pharisees know that Jesus was going to do something? They knew Jesus' reputation. They knew that this truly was something Jesus couldn't resist.
Jesus couldn't resist giving grace to those in
need.

Jesus did give grace. Before he did he pointed out that no rule, including the Sabbath, was ever meant to keep people from having good done to them. No rule exists to keep people from getting grace. He risked alientation from the Pharisees by healing the man, and his risk blew up in his face because they wanted to kill him all the more. Somehow, though, Jesus had decided that it was worth it. We follow a brave man when we follow Jesus.
What about me? Would others say of Dan Franklin, "He can't resist giving grace," the same way they would say, "he can't resist checking the score of the game if it is on in the background"? Sadly, I think not. What about with the socially needy at church, the financially needy on the street, the spiritually needy next door.
Jesus has shown me what it looks like, and I am so grateful that he fought opposition in order to give grace to people like me. I look forward to following him more in this. And if I can learn anything from Jesus example, it is that grace is something that is worth fighting for. That means not only fighting others who would keep me from giving grace, but fighting my own flesh and my enemy who would happily see me fat and selfish and indulgent.
May we all as believers be people who cannot resist giving grace to others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home