Friday, July 14, 2006

Shocking Thoughts from Romans

I read through Romans 1-8 the other night. It was a great time and really enriching. Something about Paul's message, something about the Gospel, struck me as very shocking. In chapter 4 he is talking about Abraham's faith, and the fact that he received the promise by faith and not his works. He then says in verses 4-5:
Now to the one who works, his wage is not cedited as a favor, but as what is due. But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness.

Maybe it should not seem so dramatic to me, but it seems much for scandalous to think of God justifying the ungodly, rather than just the sinful. I read on into chapter 5, and I can live with 5:8, which says, "But God demonstrates His own loves word us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." That is amazing and life-giving. I am more shocked by the language in 5:6 when he says,
For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.

I am not offended at being called a sinner. I know I am a sinner, and I can live with being identified as one. But I normally think of myself as someone who is generally a good guy, who tires to do what is right, but who messes up and needs a Savior. I have a good heart, but I just can't make myself right before God. After all, his standards are so high! Are they? Was it so unreasonable for God to think that Adam and Eve could simply enjoy paradise and not partake in the one thing he forbade? I don't think it was.
The point is this: I am not just some good-natured sinner who needed a little help. I am amongst the ranks of the ungodly. I am at odds with God. I am his enemy.
Thankfully, not anymore. Why not? Because Christ died for the ungodly. It is so humbling. It reminded me of the shocking and amazing nature of the gospel and of grace.
And it reminded me that no one is out of range of the grace God gives. If someone is ungodly. . .well, that's who Jesus died for.

1 Comments:

At 1:39 AM, Blogger Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

All of my sins, for all of his righteousness, passive and active. It is too good too be true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home