Wednesday, January 24, 2007

School

So, who loves school? Come on, I know you're out there. This picture is back from when Matthew was only a couple months old (Moffat, sorry to have a picture of my kid; I know you don't think kids are worth blogging about (check Ry's comments on the MLK post)), and I was reading a G.K. Chesterton book to him. By the way, his take on the book was that it was clever, but a bit obscure and theoretical. I included this picture because I love to read, and I tried to include Matthew in it even when he was really young.
New semester started up this week (at least for me) and I am excited about my classes. I finally have a counseling class that I am excited about (I have been a bit let down in the past), I have a great theology class taught by the illustrious Dr. Baylis, and I also have a class called Ministry Management and Development that I think will be really beneficial.
I'm excited about learning new stuff. In a staff meeting a couple of weeks ago, one of the pastors (I think it was Lenny) mentioned that one older man he had met said that it is good to learn something new each year. The man was currently in his sixties or seventies and was learning to play the violin. I thought that was something great. It made me make a list of things that I want to learn. I want to learn to change my own oil and work on my car (don't laugh). I want to learn to play the piano (maybe). I want to learn things in areas in which I am totally clueless.
I haven't made anything happen in most of those areas, but I took a little step. With a Borders gift card I bought a book called America on Trial and it is a large book about the most important trials in American history and how the each has impacted the way we practice law today. It has been interesting because it is new and fresh. I am enjoying that.
Anyway, stuck in a rut? Maybe God would have you branch out and explore his world in a way that you previously haven't. Just a thought.
For those of you who are in school: Press on. . .and enjoy!

1 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger DK said...

That reminds me of what Kimberly was telling me when we went Christmas caroling. She knows a pastor who shared the exact same philosophy. He is in his 80's learning a new language and is as sharp as ever.

That inspired me to make a personal goal to continue to learn new languages the rest of my life. Granted a good portion of the time will be spent re-learning and brushing up on languages I already know.

That being said, every guy should know how to change the oil in his car.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home