Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Are we even Admirers, much less Imitators?

It can be sad how little we can think and talk about Jesus in Christian communities. We talk about being Christians, about morality, about reaching our culture, about being relevant, and about building marriages and families. All of these can be valid sub-categories, but are we trying to do Jesus' commanded work in our human wisdom? Hmmm.
Do we admire Jesus? Not just from a distance in a detached way, but do we really admire the man? Do we stand in awe of his wisdom and compassion not in a theoretical way, but in deep reality as we look in the Gospels at the life he lived here on earth? We are called to be followers of Jesus. His learners. His apprentices (disciples). Is this even possible if we do not at our core admire the man?
When I read the Gospels, I admire Jesus and I want to talk to my friends about him. It is not a task. It is fun and exciting. I want my deep admiration to pour out so that all can see how great this man I follow is. Do we in our churches have any more than a detached gratitude toward Jesus for his sacrifice? Do we admire how he lived, loved, spoke? Do we imitate his courage, compassion, and determination?
Just food for thoughts. Hopefully, this makes you want to read the Gospels more. That would be a result I would be more than thrilled about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home