Monday, September 24, 2007

Fantasy or Reality

Well, the response was overwhelming to the first bi-anual Survivor Pick 'em. There is still plenty of room, but I will give the picks thus far. Thankfully no one doubled up, although a couple people had to pick their 2nd favorite.
Dave McAllister: James (Grave Digger)
Dan Franklin: Todd (Flight Attendant)
Ang Stump: Frosti (Student, Youngest Contestant of All Time)
Eric Wood: Jean-Robert (Professional Poker Player)
Meagan Wood: Aaron (Surf Instructor)
Sarah Blomquist: Dave (Former Model)
Daren Blomquist: Leslie (Christian Radio Show Host)
Ami McNay: Erik (Musician)
Still waiting for responses from:
Kelly McAllister
Rich Stafford
Dawna Stafford
Karina Franklin
Mirranda Meacham
Any Moffats
Still Available:
Amanda
Ashley
Courtney
Denise
Jamie
Peih-Gee
Sherea
Anyone else who watches but has not yet "outed" themselves.
8 are taken, 7 are still open.
Now I will give my quick take on each person already taken.
James: I, apparently like everyone else, really liked James. However, I don't think he can win. I think he will make the merge and finish somewhere in the 8-5 range. I think he just won't be able to get into a main alliance. Not strategic enough. But he'll be a beast in the challenges and his own tribe would be incredibly foolish to eliminate him. Over/Under on James: 7.
Frosti: Liked him. Thought about picking him. I got burned, though, by picking Michelle last season. I think Frosti is too young to finish. Over/Under on Frosti: 6
Jean-Robert: Not surprised Eric picked him. I was either going to pick him or Todd. I don't know if JR is very smart, or very stupid. The jury is out. That conversation with Todd either revealed a really cool and unorthodox strategy, or it revealed arrogance that will get him ousted before the merge. I am leaning toward the latter. Over/Under on JR: 12
Aaron: Good guy. I think he will annoy people. I think he finishes in the 12-9 range. Over/Under on Aaron: 10.
Dave: I think he is a very, very good pick. Definitely could go all the way. Mentally tough and seems likeable. Gotta be careful, though, on the leadership thing. That will likely get him out in the 12-9 range also if he is overbearing. I think, however, he is smart enough to get it done. Over/Under on Dave: 4.
Leslie: I really liked her. I loved how she seemed to very authentically coach James. If she can get into an alliance with James and a couple others, then she and James could both go to the final four. It's tough, though, because she could also be out next week. Major wild card. Just depends on how her tribe responds to her. She also could go far because if she makes the merge, she is unlikely to be a threat. James isn't a strong enough strategic player to keep her in the game if it is just up to him. Over/Under on Leslie: 12.
Erik: Liked him, but didn't get to know him nearly enough. I think Ami picked him because he reminds her of her all-time favorite Survivor, Ethan. Am I wrong? He does look a little like him. I see Erik making the merge, but them going in the 10-7 range. Over/Under on Erik: 9.
Todd: All the way. No way he goes before the merge because he is too likeable. He will get along with people. I think he will end up in a good alliance within his tribe. If they are up when the merge comes, I think he can maneuver himself to the win. I think if he ends up having to go up against JR (which he most likely will at some point), Todd will win out. More likeable and more undercover. Over/Under on Todd: 3.
Interesting Note: All the guys were chosen. 8 of us picked, and only Daren was bold enough to pick a gal. Are we thinking that a woman can't win Survivor, or just not this season?
That said, I think everyone's picks were really good (not that you need my approval). This will be fun.
And now, the question everyone is wondering about:
Ami, your TV got struck by lightning?

4 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger Greg and Andrea said...

Greg's 1st pick is Jamie, 2nd pick Ashley. Andrea's 1st pick is Amanda, 2nd choice is Denise. The pickin's are getting pretty slim at this point, but hey, anything can happen.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Dan Franklin said...

Pickins are getting slim. Karina is claiming Denise, the lunch lady. She was pretty bitter when I informed her of her five remaining choices. She said Denise might pull a Twila (Vanuata).
4 left.

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

Erik. I picked him because he is a good Southern boy who went to Furman, and everyone who went to Furman is cool. Also, they didn't show him at all, so I figure he is one of those fly under the radar for a little while and then emerge...who knows...I am really just bummed that James won't win. So, it really has nothing to do with Ethan...but they do favor. And honestly...all the chicks seemed lame.

Good grief, you people are technical. OK, lightning struck somewhere in the vicinity of our home and ran through the cable (we are guessing) and killed our TV and VCR...although both were plugged into a surge protector. So...our TV got struck by lightning. Somehow everyone who has lived through a GA storm doesn't find it odd when I say that...maybe you don't have lightning out there? In any case, it should be fixed in the next couple of weeks.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

It does sound way cooler to say that your TV was struck by lightning. For the first 6 seasons of Survivor, the winners went man, woman, man, woman, man, woman. Then there were two more women, then two more men (one of my obsessed high school students informed me of the pattern). Anywho, maybe it will be a woman... I'm with Ami, though. I wasn't a fan of many of the girls.
I know Karina just roots for anyone with a mullet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home