Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Heroes, and My Apologies to LOST Fans

So, I avoided the Heroes craze for a pretty long time. It was not because I was against the show, but simply because I knew that I was likely to become totally engrossed in it. This is a problem because I can only really watch a couple of shows with any regularity. 24 is king, and Survivor is number 2 (number one during the writer's strike).
That said, my wife decided she wanted to check out Heroes because she had seen a couple of episodes. We just got done watching Season 1.
So, I thought that I would become totally compelled by the show. The good news is that I am not hopelessly addicted. That said, I thought the first season was excellent. Before I get into it. . .
Things I did not like about Heroes:
1. Too bloody. I did not think it was inappropriate that people died in the show. I just thought that sometimes it was over the top bloody. I thought it was not necessary. I get that Sylar is bad and that he takes people's brains. I don't need to see it every episode.
2. Niki/Jessica. Thankfully they got away from the inappropriate stuff with this character. The first couple of episodes always had her doing something raunchy. I think they realized that the show was good enough that they don't need to drag in people with totally superfluous sexual content.
3. Slow in the middle. More on this later. The show definitely stalled for a while in the middle of the season.
Reasons I Liked Heroes:
1. Great characters. Of course I loved Peter Petrelli, Professor Suresh and Hiro Nakamura. Great, great characters. Complicated, likeable, and (obvoiusly) heroic.
2. Comic Book Feel. Great job keeping up the comic book feel. Really cool.
3. Villains. The whole Sylar concept was a great villain concept. So was the old guy. . .the mob guy. . .his name escapes me. I know I could just pause writing and look it up, but I don't want to.
4. The Finale. I love to see a plan come together. I kept wondering if the finale would really deliver on all the buildup of the conflicts. It really did resolve them. The finale was phenomenal. Can't say enough good stuff about it. It totally delivered, but still left plenty of places for the show to go.
Did Dan say that he was going to apologize to LOST fans?
Yes, I did. Especially to David and Mirranda because I have relentlessly tormented them about the fact that LOST never wraps things up. Here is what I realized while watching Heroes. I just don't like a mystery that takes that long to unravel. LOST is a fine show. It is just not my kind of show. If you like it, congratulations. Enjoy.
There, I said it.

By the way, on the subject of TV.
Daren and Sarah Blomquist and Dan and Angela Stump are all in for Survivor Pick 'em. That makes 17 of us. That all but secures things. Thursday I will write a post explaining how this whole picks thing will work, and I will post the picks order. If you want me to email you about your turn, make sure I have your email address. I am not sure I have email addresses for:
Eric and Meagan Wood
Greg and Andrea Moffat
Daren and Sarah Blomquist
Mirranda Meacham
This is going to be fun.
Sorry, Mirranda. I can't reveal my top 3 until other people have made their picks. I know that all of you are just waiting to hear my picks so that you can steal them. Come on, admit it. After all, I am the reigning champ.

4 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger Mirranda said...

Oo, an apology! Thanks, Dan.

I wasn't expecting to hear your top three until after the pick. Though once we're all in, I'd still be curious.

I also love how you continually draw attention to the fact that you won last season! Haha. Remember, pride comes before a fall!

I don't want to put my email address on here, but I'll email you. :)

Can't wait for the fun to begin!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I'll e-mail you me and D's e-mail addresses, although I haven't changed mine in 8 years (that means that you should have it :)

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

Agreed about Heroes. Bloody...totally unnecessary. That is why I didn't care for it. Dave actually hated the ending, he thought it was a lame culmination. I think I mostly agree. It was interesting, but I cannot get addicted.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Dan Franklin said...

I am totally surprised you guys (Dave and Ami) didn't like the ending. I thought it totally wrapped things up. Guess we all have our preferences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home