Saturday, April 18, 2009

Biking

Getting Back Out There

So, the sun is out and so are our bikes. After a long slumber, Karina, Matt, and I are all riding again. It took Matt a little while to get going again because it had been so long. But I think it helped that I told him that riding a bike is like. . .well. . .riding a bike. Before he knew it, he was cruising through the cul de sac with no help from me.






The Springwater Trail
So, I wanted to get going again too. Last Saturday I decided that I wanted to do more than just ride around town. I decided to go out on the Springwater Trail and ride for a while. I started on it at about 12:45pm. There are mile markers, so I thought I would ride for about 5 miles and then head back. The 5 miles went so quickly, though, that I thought I could try for 10. It was going pretty well, even after I reached 10, and I thought to myself, "It is only about 6 more miles until the mile markers end. Why don't I just go for it?"
I did.
When I finally got to the end, I wanted to see exactly where I was, so I rode out before turning around on the trail. I was at OMSI! I had no idea.

The Dreaded Moment
Then I started to ride home. I realized very quickly that I had made a horrible mistake. I was on an older street bike with over 16 miles to ride, and I had probably never ridden for more than 3 miles at once in my entire life.
I could have just taken my sweet time, but I needed to get back for the Easter service that evening. I labored through the ride, stopping to stretch and drink water 3 or 4 times. After a while, I got the sensation that I was probably going to throw up. Funny enough, the next thought I had was that I did not object to throwing up at all. It sounded like it might help.
Well, I did make it home, just in time to shower and head out to church. My legs were tight, but it was still an experience worth having.
Today, I rode 10 miles out and 10 back. That was challenging, but not nearly as debilitating. Fun stuff.

3 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The Ritters are dusting the bikes off too. We should all go for a ride sometime! Jeff is going to start riding into downtown 3 days a week. I've heard it's pretty much all down hill:)

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger oregonfatts said...

brilliant... i'm glad your riding. Just so you know, it helps a ton if you throw up... that's totally my method, and i know trina agrees. as always, loving your blog. I think you'll hear from ryan about some of his burundi challenges, but absolutely hillarious at times, even amidst the pain... i wish you were on the team to experience it... love that guy, i have totally new respect for the mof.

 
At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dan! We did the same thing....on a "sunny" day in January! Sun, yes. Cold, too. I made it back to Safeway on 182nd--where I bought hot cocoa, just to warm up my frostbitten hands....and waited for Gene to pck me up:) Then, we found out you can put your bikes on MAX for free. Next ride? Down to OMSI, back on MAX---when it's not in the 40s:)
Rainy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home