Friday, February 12, 2010

What I Have Been Taking In

While it has been said many times, I am still struck with the importance of what we allow into our minds. What I watch, read, listen to, all has a huge impact on my thoughts, attitudes, etc.
So, that said, here are some things that I have been taking in.
Deep Church by Jim Belcher. I finished this a few weeks ago, and Karina is reading through it now. I love reading books on the church, and this book probably best summed up where I have been heading in my thoughts about the church. Really great book for anyone thinking about the purpose and mission of the church, and also a great book if you are wrestling through issues related to the emerging church. So worth it. Highly recommended.
Exploring Ecclesiology by Brad Harper and Paul Metzger. Another excellent book on the church. Many of you know that Paul Metzger was one of my professors at Multnomah, and he has had a big impact on me. I was especially challenged, in this book, by the idea of the church being an "eschatological community." The idea is that we reveal what will be to come. One day Christ will take back rule of this earth, and, God-willing, the church now reveals to people what that rule will look like. As a brief disclaimer, I don't agree with Harper and Metzger on their egalitarian position, but I still agree with their overall thrust and message.
So Brave, Young and Handsome by Leif Enger. I read this book near Christmas time, and I loved it. Rich, relatable characters, and a great story about redemption. I loved it so much that I am now reading back through Enger's first book, Peace Like a River, which is even better.
Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer. I read through this book again about a month ago. It is so good (and nice and short). If you have not read it, it is a brief book on the attributes of God. Check it out. Short chapters (4-5 pages each). Very deep and rich.
Timothy Keller Podcast. This was just put up on Itunes a couple of weeks ago. If you don't know Tim Keller, his stuff is fantastic. The two things that I appreciate most about him are
(1) His emphasis on preaching Christ in every passage of Scripture,
(2) His excellent job of dealing head-on with the tough questions that challenge the Christian faith.
The podcast is WAY worth it. If you are into podcast, check it out for sure. And if you like what you hear, go to ItunesU and get the tracks for a class he did at Reformed Theological Seminary with Ed Clowny called Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World. This is also great stuff.

2 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

love ed clowney...just working on his book on christ in the ot. remember david stoddard? ec is his grandfather-in-law.

 
At 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great resource!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home