Monday, April 09, 2007

Unique Actions Sequences

I saw the movie Children of Men this past week. First of all, I thought it was good. I actually thought that the story itself was pretty mediocre. Nothing too innovative or original. I thought the presentation of the story, however, was exceptional. The mood of the movie and the environment which the director created were amazing. I also really liked Clive Owen. I saw him in Inside Man and thought he was great in that too. I think he only does movies, though, in which he can use a lot of F-bombs. Has he been in anything that wasn't rated R?
Seeing this movie brought up an interesting topic that I thought I would present a list on: Unique Action Sequences in movies. Children of Men wins the award for Best Birth Action Sequence. It was pretty intense. Here my top 10 unique action sequences in movies.

10. Best Quantum Physics Action Sequence: Frequency
9. Best Spelling Action Sequence: Akeelah and the Bee
8. Best Novel-Writing Action Sequence: Stranger than Fiction
7. Best Sewing Action Sequence: The Three Amigos
6. Best Birth Action Sequence: Children of Men
5. Best Baby Carriage Action Sequence: The Untouchables
4. Best Imagined Action Sequence: A Beautiful Mind
3. Best Skydiving Action Sequence: Point Break
2. Best Figure Skating Action Sequence: Ronin
And finally. . .
1. Best Merry-Go-Round Action Sequence: Strangers on a Train

You gotta give it to these directors for creativity. Some of these actions sequences went over well, and some of them are laughable. The Ronin one is especially dedicated to my old roommate Chris Kropf.

If I missed any prominent ones, feel free to write them down in the comment section.

4 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger DK said...

I saw it a few months back, which scene are you speaking of exactly? I thought the most moving scene of the movie was when they were walking down the stairs of the apartment with the baby. Such a contrast of the death, hate, and war of our world with that of the birth of new life - and the power which the latter has over the first.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Dan Franklin said...

I was just talking about the scene in which the girl gives birth. I agree with you about that scene at the end. It was really powerful. The ambush scene at the beginning totally took my breath away, though.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Dave Mac said...

I'm sorry, but I gotta give "Best Figure Skating Action Sequence" to the chase scene near the end of "Blades of Glory". I laughed until I hurt!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Dan Franklin said...

Didn't see Blades of Glory, so I'll have to take your word for it. But in Ronin the figure skater had a sniper rifle pointed at her during her routine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home