Tuesday, March 13, 2007

24 Update


Okay, you knew it was coming eventually. Gotta talk a bit about 24.
Now, those of you who know me will know that making this concession is a big deal. The concession is this. So far, Season 6 of 24 has been, by far, my least favorite. Even as I say that, it is still my favorite show on TV. There are several things that they have done this season that have left me wondering, "Why are they doing this?" There have been some other things that I have just found impossible to believe (the big one was when the assassinators let Tom Lennox live; gimme a break).

Now, on to the more productive commentary. Usually on 24 a major bad guy lasts an average of 6-8 episodes (just an estimate). This season we still have Fayed, the same main bad guy from hour 1. This is an interesting twist. I am not against it at all, but it has made for, at times, some slower episodes because they are not tracking down bad guy after bad guy.

The Logan strand was one that I really liked. I must say, though, that I was not crazy about last night's twist with Martha (from this point on referred to as Psycho Martha, or PM). Any good will that Psycho Martha built up by helping take down Logan last season was lost for my when she stabbed him in her home. She simply proved that she was psychotic all along, and just got lucky before. I am high on Logan and low on PM.

It was good to see Aaron Pierce again, although him being with Martha was weird. I think he deserves better. Especially in light of her showing herself to be PM. It was cool, though, that he was, as always, able to see what the right thing was to do. He is more loyal to his own convictions than he is to any one person. Great guy. Sad to see him with someone so psycho.

The Logan Redemption Project has been good. Not on par with the George Mason Redemption Project of Season 2 or the Tony Almeida Redemption Projext of Season 4. Still, Logan has been in some ways more compelling than the others because we have all been guessing whether or not it is sincere. Big step forward last night. When someone who we don't want to get stabbed gets stabbed, it most likely means that we're not supposed to want them to get stabbed. Hmmm. And I was totally afraid that he was going to die, but the fact that the episode ended without him dying means that he's fine. He will live. Take it to the bank. He may die much later in the season, but he will not die next episode. Man, I hope I'm right.

Here's my final word. There are all these things that many of us have been wondering, "Where is this going?" Within five episodes it is all going to come crashing together and there will be a collective, "Whoa" from all 24 watchers.

Also, if you saw the preview for next week's episode. . .WOW! Are they gonna set off another nuke? Freaky.
Enjoy.

4 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger Greg and Andrea said...

Great summary of thoughts, especially on the Logan/PM twist. Have to say that I am a bit dissapointed that you did not rip the acting of Lennox' right hand man to shreds.

-Greg

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Dan Franklin said...

I get you, Greg. I think I didn't mention it because Reed was not in the last episode at all. It was pretty brutal, though.
Oh, I also forgot to mention the emergence of Rick(y) Shroder.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Okay Dan, I have to make sure not to check your blog on Tuesdays because we watch 24 on Tuesday nights online (no cable will not stop us from watching 24!).
I'm also with you on Logan/PM. I'm interested to see where they go with Little Lord Fauntleroy.
Sorry about my other comment. I got that from a Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin just randomly yelled "boring!" during a lecture. It made me laugh.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Megan said...

I agree with about Aaron Pierce. He has been one of my favorite side actors for many seasons. And to see him with Martha was fine at first. But then went she turned out to be PM, well, I didn't like that. Aaron is too good at judging character to be with her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home