Monday, March 05, 2007

First Political Post

Well, I am writing my first ever blog post having to do with politics. I do not follow politics that way that some do, but I have been following a bit more closely lately because the upcoming '08 presidential election is one that really is fascinating to me. One of the reasons for this is that two of the top Republican candidates (McCain and Giuliani) are pro-choice. And, on the Democratic side, we have an African American man and a woman battling it out for the nomination. And, at least right now, it seems much more likely than not that one of the two will receive the nod to represent the Democrats.
I grew up with a very Republican surrounding. It seemed like all good Christians voted Republican and that was just that way it was. I saw footage yesterday of a rally of African Americans gathered for both Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama. The African American vote has typically been Democratic in a landslide. When I found that out, it made me think. I thought, "Either all African Americans are just blind to the fact that they should be voting Republican, or maybe I am missing something." I like to opt for the latter. Maybe this political thing is more complicated than just good guys and bad guys.
This brings me to my real heart-pounding issue. Ann Coulter, the controversial and inflamatory conservative author and commentator, was at a conservative rally this past week, and she took shots at the Democratic hopefuls for the White House. In the midst of her comments, she referred to Senator John Edwards as a "faggot." I couldn't believe my ears when I saw the new story about this. And then I thought, Why am I so surprised? Ann Coulter has always been condescending and spiteful to others. This may have been a new height of insult (both to Edwards and to the homosexual community, not to mention to anyone who has any ounce of compassion at all), but it was not out of character for this woman.
I was thinking about it afterwards, and I concluded that I don't even really blame Coulter for her comments. I mean, I certainly do blame her, but who I really blame is the conservatives who married themselves to her and had her speak at their convention. What were they expecting to happen? They should have known what they were getting into. Many Republicans have disavowed her comments, but, sadly, her comments were met with much laughter and cheers when she said them. The Republicans should never have linked up with her.
Then I thought, With whom do we as Christians link ourselves? By God's grace, I hope not Ann Coulter. But do we link ourselves with Republicans and conservatives to a fault? Many think so. Do we end up standing with people who are condescending and mean-spirited because we agree with their stance on the budget, or even their stance on abortion? And how does this represent Jesus to those who observe us?
This is not meant to be anti-Republican. I only pick on the Republicans because most of us in churches have that leaning. My question is, "With whom would Jesus have us stand? With whom would he stand?" And how do compassion and humility play a part in this?

2 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

Interesting. The Christian community can't agree on whether women should be pastors, whether we should dunk or sprinkle, whether we should sing hymns, praise songs, or only sing acapella, whether we were predestined or whether we can loose our salvation...but we can agree on one thing...all good Christians are republicans. Remember the 11th commandment...thou shall vote republican.

Honestly, we have no idea what side Jesus would have been on...if any. I don't think He would have bothered Himself with the whole election...He would be too busy healing, teaching, and meeting the needs of others. One thing I do know, He wouldn't have called anyone a faggot.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Josh B said...

Great post :-) I was thinking about that the other day, mainly the two republican candidates pro-choice, and the Ann Coulter fiasco.

I'm curious to see who I'll vote for.

-Sparky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home