Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Lost Blogging

Okay, I know I am going to be fighting a losing battle here with how many people are against me on this one, but after a heated conversation a week ago, I felt compelled to blog about it.
3 years ago I had the joy and euphoria of discovering the greatest show in the history of television: 24. It has continued to get better and stay true to itself. It is compelling, and it delivers on what it says it is going to do.
2 years ago I watched the first 8 episodes of a show that I thought rivaled it: Lost. The characters were interesting, the story was captivating, and the flashbacks were shocking. I loved it. Then. . .it stopped progressing. Half way through the first season it seemed that the writers were saying: "Wow, our show is a big hit! We didn't really expect this. Now we have to actually make these plot lines go somewhere." And they spent the rest of Season 1 opening up plot line after plot line and advancing none of them. In fact, I think the writers right now are looking at chatter and rumors on the internet to try to get ideas for how they can possibly make the show cohesive. The finale to season 1 was the most dissatisfying finale I have ever seen on any show. All the things you thought would finally be answered were given the reply: Wait til next season. When the next season came, they did deliver on some things, but they also spent the first 3 episodes without moving forward at all. They were all from different perspectives, but they all ended with Desmond having Locke as a hostage and saying, "I'll shoot him, brother!"
Half way through the second season I decided that something needed to be done. So I did it. I began to protest the show. Out of principle I decided that I was not going to be one more person who they messed with. There are plot lines on this show that opened up years ago and they have pretty much been dropped. This should be a one season, at most 2, show with a beginning, middle, and end. Instead it is being dragged out over, apparently, 5. No wonder they keep bringing up new questions without ever answering the previous ones. There are so many things to tie together that I will be truly amazed if they ever come close to taking care of it: (1) Why does the island bring healing? (2) What is the deal with the others? (3) How do the numbers play into it? (4) What about the monster? That is just to name a few. Not to mention that season 2 ended with a pathetic inconsistency. David K. and I have debated it over email; I think he is refortifying his position now to find out how to deal with the loss of innocence as he comes to grips with the fact that he has been duped.
So, I want to invite all people who have watched the show to join me in boycotting it. This matters. We need to send a message that we deserve better. We deserve stories that are actually going somewhere and not dragged out just to prolong the craze. Less is more. Give us a story with a beginning, a middle and an end. If I am wrong about Lost, I'll rent it. But I am not wrong. Take my word for it.
By the way, the picture I chose highlights Sawyer, who was by far my favorite character on the show. If I still watched it, I would be interested in what goes on with him.

1 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Blogger DK said...

Ohhhhh! IT'S ON NOW!

I have completely SMASHED your so called "inconsistency". While I considered breaking it to you humbly by email, it is definitely going up as a post on my blog now!

...I'm still shaking my head in disgust at this post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home