Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My Son Jack


I know I have been blogging lately about Matthew because of potty training and other exciting adventures, but I wanted to take some time to blog about My Son Jack.
Karina and I are convinced that Jack is the easiest baby in the history of babies. It is not anything that we have done. We take no credit for it. He just is an extremely easy-going baby. I had a reality check when I mentioned that he was sleeping through the night (he started at or 8 weeks) and a friend at seminary said that his son didn't start sleeping through the night until he was 14 months! I know that is not typical, but it still reminded me of how easy Jack has been. He sleeps really well, feeds really well, and in general is low-maintenance.





Not that I really like stereotypes, but Jack's tendencies make me wonder if we are going to have another child. In other words, he strikes me as a stereotypical middle child, as opposed to a typical youngest child. Sometimes I have to make sure I am taking the initiative to spend time with him because he is not very demanding. Matthew was an easy baby on the grand scale, but Jack is really off the charts.





Jack, while he is not demanding (most of the time) is very relational. He loves interacting. You can see how big his eyes get. He loves to smile, laugh, and make fun cooing noises. He also really loves to watch his brother. He gets a real kick out of him.







Jack has a great, delightful open-mouth smile. It is just contagious.
Jack likes music too (he told me). One of the songs playing on my laptop when we were in the hospital after he was born was "Thank You for Loving Me" by Bon Jovi (go ahead and mock me; I like Bon Jovi). He has alwasy got a kick out of it when I sing that song to him. It always makes me think of him now.





I am so thankful for my family. I love my wife so much, and I absolutely love my boys. I love being a dad, and I specifically love being a dad for boys (I am sure that I am biased since right now boys are all that I have). I just got done reading A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. My mom had read it to us as kids, and I have seen more versions of it than I can count (I even played Jacob Marley in one version when I was a kid). Reading it now, though, when I have sons, I found myself crying (literally) at the parts about Tiny Tim. The grief of Bob Cratchet over his son was so real. The thought of having such a special bond with a child makes the thought of tragedy that much more painful. All that said, I love pursuing a special bond with my boys. I feel like Matt and I have that, and it is fun to feel that begin to develop more and more with Jack. I love my little guy. Can't wait to get to know him better and to discover more about what he is like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home