Thursday, September 14, 2006

Lost Rebuttal

Many of you will be totally bored by this. If you have an interest in arguments about Lost, you can click on the link to David Knepprath's blog so that you can read his scathing, and totally-missing-the-point, rebuttal to my previous post. David, this is mostly for you, but is also for the purpose of freeing people from the unnecessary slavery to a show that does not deliver on its promises.
First of all, David spent most of his post making points that are totally irrelevant to my argument. He was accurately showing the reasons why Locke would have wanted to stop pushing the buttons. I totally agree. It makes perfect sense for Locke to want to stop. I never argued against that.
The brutal inconsistency in David's post is when he says that no one has seen anything beyond flashing lights and heiroglyphics. Desmond saw and experienced much more than this in the flashback. For heaven's sake, are we forgetting the magnetic field that brought down the plane?! The whole place was shaking and going crazy. And when it starts happening again to Locke and Desmond, do we see Desmond saying, "It's okay, this happened before." No! He jets down to turn the emergency switch! It makes no sense. For Desmond to really have been at the point that you claim, he would have been willing to let the shaking run its course. He would have believed that it would go through all those bells and whistles and then do nothing. And if he really did believe that, and then was simply convinced otherwise by the thing with the date when the plane was brought down, would he really not have said to Locke, "I think you're right about nothing happening. Just so you know, though, when we don't press the buttons we should be prepared for some fake shaking and chaos. But don't worry. It's all still just an experiment." He could have thought that, but why would he not have mentioned it to Locke. I see limited possibilities:
1) He wants to die, so he doesn't tell Locke about it. Then why does he turn the switch when he realizes that something is happening?
2) He just doesn't think to mention his previous experience. Totally unbelievable. That would never happen.
3) He forgot. See above.
Am I missing a possibility (help me out, Lost guru).
To end the post, David claimed that Lost rubbed me the wrong way. Quite the opposite. I thought the first 8-10 episodes were brilliant. I still love several of the characters (Sawyer, Jin, Echo, Charlie, Kate; not Jack). I am even tempted to still watch it this season (did I just say that?). The premise of the show was brilliant. I am just sounding the alarm that they have not followed through on what they set up in the plot, and the finale to season 2 was just the most flagrant example of the fact that even the writers cannot keep the plot straight.
By the way, DK, I didn't mean that you were duped into thinking that nothing happened when the buttons were not pressed. I meant that you were duped into thinking that the writers were going to follow through on their promises.
No offense. . .really.
Anyone is welcome to join me on October 4th to watch the entire fourth season of 24. Just to keep us occupied.

3 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger DK said...

All hail the savior from Lost's chains of slavery! *sarcasm*

:)

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger DK said...

I just realized you didn't have Hurley on the list of character that you like! Other then that I agree, and I absolutely agree on the dislike of Jack. It was good to see Echo on your list, I thought I was alone on that one.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Dan Franklin said...

Man, I thought I was the only one who didn't like Jack. He drives me nuts! He is so over the top.
I think Hurley is funny, but he doesn't make my top 5. Sawyer is number 1 by a pretty far distance. . .of course, that would be true if I cared about the show at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home