Tuesday, May 22, 2007

24 Recap (Spoiler Warning)

I thought this picture was hysterical.
So, just wanted to comment on the 24 Season Finale last night. I thought it was really good. I did not think it was amazing, but it was, as always, very satisfying. I thought some of the shots of Jack out on the oil platform with the ocean around him and things blowing up were amazing. I thought the resolution of stuff with his family worked for me. I couldn't believe that Josh shot his grandfather. I was glad that Jack stopped him, though. Jack again was sacrificial, as he constantly is (more on this later).
The White House resolution was good, I thought. I was really glad to see Karen and Bill get off okay. Good redemption for both Tom and even the VP.
Karina saw the pregnancy thing with Chloe coming as soon as her eyes blurred. That was cool, though. What was with the red herring of Milo's brother? Was I the only one who thought he was going to do something crazy? Even since Season 3 with Guiel's wife, they know they have us nervous.
The big surprise and tense moment for me was when Jack was talking to (yelling at) Heller. I did not see that conversation coming. I was nervous that Jack was going to lose it. What an amazing ending, though. Jack again keeps with his sacrificial life by walking away from the women he loves. Heller's point to Jack was right out of 1 Corinthians 7, the whole idea of staying unattached so that you can be single-minded. Jack knew that Heller was right, and they he would get dragged back in to CTU. Because of that, he needed to leave Audrey alone.
So, a 24 Season Finale without any major good guys dying. I was scared for Bill, but it all ended up working out. There were, however, some powerful death scenes in this season which has caused me to make a list of my Top Ten Powerful Death Scenes on 24.
10. Lynn McGill, Season 5 (Sean Astin's character, who sacrificed himself for the rest of CTU)
9. David Palmer, Season 5 (great character, abrupt death scene)
8. Milo Pressman, Season 6 (another heroic exit, totally unexpected because it happened so quickly)
7. Teri Bauer, Season 1 (no actual death scene, but msot horrific death ever in the show)
6. Curtis Manning, Season 6 (the unheroic death, but it was done so well with such intensity; Jack having to shoot his friend in order to do the right thing)
5. Yussef Auda, Season 2 (little remembered character who was attacked by rednecks, and died telling Jack where to find the Cypress Recording)
4. Paul Raines, Season 4 (died when Jack had to force doctors to work on a key witness)
3. George Mason, Season 2 (again, no actual death scene, but the sequence was amazing and heroic)
2. Edgar Stiles, Season 5 (I think I actually cried at this one; poor guy, died trying to check up on a missing coworker, and got caught out when the gas was released in CTU)
1. Ryan Chappelle, Season 3 (the best episode ever of 24, President Palmer had to ask Jack to execute his boss in order to comply with a terrorist demand; powerful because Chappelle went along willingly, knowing he had to give his life)

Noticeable absent from this list: Tony Almeida. First of all, because his death scene was a pointless outrage. Secondly, because he isn't really. . .

3 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger Mirranda said...

They killed Milo? Why?

I'm glad I stopped watching.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Must be a girl thing. I was right on the pregnancy thing too. This was not my favorite season, but D and I were wondering if it was because we didn't watch it on DVD. We loved watching the first 3 seasons on DVD. They seemed so much more intense!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Dan Franklin said...

Actually, Sar, I just think this Season wasn't up to par with the previous five. I think next season will step it back up to its normal level. While this was a down season, I thought it still had some good moments, and I thought it progressed things in some interesting ways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home