Thursday, May 31, 2007

Basketball


Just a note to start, I was not slacking by not posting for the last week. I wanted to leave the Sethas post up for a while because I love the idea of the Chase clan getting some attention. They are awesome.
Been enjoying getting to watch some of the NBA Playoffs. It is funny. Growing up, I loved watching baseball, liked watching football, and could not stand to watch basketball. This is a shame because I could have been following Magic and the Showtime Lakers. Now, I like all three sports, but I find that I can sit and watch a basketball game start to finish better than baseball or football. There is just so much action, so much scoring, and each possession is a chance to see something special. This year has been good, not great (kind of like the season of 24). There have been some things I have enjoyed, though.
1. Former Lakers Contributing to New Teams. I have nothing but affection for most former Lakers who were a part of their Threepeat. It was great to see Derek Fisher contribute to Utah's run (which just ended last night). As always, I love watching Robert Horry (let's all move on from his uncharacteristic and inappropriate foul on Nash). Horry hits big shots, does all the small things that help his team win, and he is such a schmoozer with the refs that it always makes me (and them) smile.
2. Deron Williams. This guy is amazing. No single player was more fun for me to watch. He is a star. I love guys who get assists, and he dishes with the best in the league. But the thing that makes him in the top three point guards (along with Nash and Kidd) is that he scores, is tough defensively, and is willing to take the contact. Man, he was fun to watch. Would have liked to see more of him.
3. The Demise of the Mavs. How great was it to watch a team that won 67 games tank it in the first round?! Maybe I am sick. I just loved it, though. Loved watchign Baron Davis also (UCLA, baby).
4. Tim Duncan. Now that the Lakers are no longer a factor in the playoffs (more on this later), I think I can truly appreciate just how great Duncan is. I do think that he will go down as the best power forward of all time, because he has led his team to titles. Think about the other great power forwards. Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Elgin Baylor. None of them won a title. Duncan is likely going to get his fourth, and he is just simply unguardable. Great teammate too, and great guy.
5. Suns Vs. Spurs. It was the best series. Too bad about the suspensions, because otherwise it may have gone the full 7 games.
6. Lebron. So hoping that he leads the Cavs to the finals, but they may be a year away. It reminds me of MJ running into the Pistons year after year, and then finally leading the Bulls past them. I would love to see Lebron do the same.
7. The Blazers Winning the Lottery. People around here are just going nuts for Greg Oden. I must admit that I am a little happy for Blazer fan.
8. The Lakers Stealing the Spotlight. Hysterical. Out in the first round, but still they have everyone talking (there has been much less drama since the Spurs beat the Suns). Kobe is mad. Kobe wants out. Kobe is staying. Great stuff. I think Kobe is right that the Lakers have done a poor, poor job of putting together a team that can possibly win a title. And I don't necessarily buy that he forced Shaq out three years ago. As a Laker fan, I would love to see them make a deal to get Garnett, or Kidd, or someone who is a legitimate running mate. My problem is that I wonder if the talent around Lebron is really any better than the talent around Kobe. Is it? Hard for me to say that it is. Who is the second best player on the Cavs? Larry Hughes? Drew Gooden? Ilgauskas maybe. And yet Lebron is leading his team deep into the playoffs.

That was fun. Later I'll write about something related to something else.

1 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Matt said...

"I must admit that I am a little happy for Blazer fan."

I think that was a typo, but it was really funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home