Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Sethas, Part 2

Those of us who knew him best talk about him often. I swear, the stuff he pulled. Sometimes it makes me sad, Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren’t meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty now that they’re gone. I guess I just miss my friend.

The above quote is from The Shawshank Redemption. The speaker of the quote is talking from prison after his best friend has left. While to my knowledge, Seth Chase has never been in prison, there are still aspects of the quote that make me think of the fact that Seth, my friend, moved away. It makes me sad, but I am also happy for him and Trina as they "fly away" to do what God has made them to do right now in Burundi. In honor of the Chases, however, I wanted to write another post and show some fun pics from our adventures in Lithuania two years ago.
I think this picture on the left is the one they used for support-raising. It really shows their youth, vitality, and their dynamic relationship. I mean, come on, who would not want to give gobs of money to allow these two warriors to go on the mission field and make movies and snap pictures?
Here is my all-time favorite picture of Trina. This was taken on our canoing trip with Lithuanian students. Trina is actually an excellent boat person. She grew up with it. You might notice here, though, that she looks frustrated. The truth is that her partner wasn't quite savvy to canoe skills, and the language barrier made it tough for Trina to communicate her immense knowledge and experience on canoes.
The rest of the story is that Trina and I and our partners were all together on a "team" for the canoe trip, but my partner (Aligius) and I went on ahead because we were working together pretty well. We all got out of our canoes for lunch and waited for everyone else to arrive. Trina and her partner about pretty much dead last. Seth and I called out and cheered when they came around the corner in their canoe, and then Trina gave the look she is giving in the picture. At this point I turned to Seth and asked, "Do you think she's mad at me because I went on ahead?" At this point Seth thought, evaluated his knowledge of his wife after two wonderful years of wedded bliss, and then responded by saying, "I really couldn't tell you." Great moment.
Here are two more fun pics. I miss those Chases.
If you want to check in on my friends, the Chases, you can click on the link on the right side of my blog to Seth Chase's blog. You will not only see cool pics and read good rants, you will get to view some of the films Seth is making as he and Trina minister to missionaries and needy people in Burundi.
Love you guys.

3 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger oregonfatts said...

I can't believe I made it to series status on your blog!!! I'm a sequel!!! unbelievable. I've been raving about you here in the heart of Africa, unfortunately on the english speakers understand me, and then of them, only the Brose's really know of you. I keep telling Dan Brose, "I hope Dan comes to Africa." I really value your teaching... and what's more is: I think your teaching is international and cross cultural, in a way that our jokes will never be. Seriously, you're one of the more gifted teachers i've met in my life! Are you listening to me all you college kids!!! You don't know how good you have it! love ya Dan, I'm making you a sequel, count on it. I've got the first four epsisodes of 24 illegally through cambodia, I'm hoping to see the rest of the season. I'm loving it. But I also broke the law to watch them... Rom 7 baby, that's where I live.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger oregonfatts said...

I meant to say " unfortunately only the english speakers understand" anyway, loved your review of "the departed." Your 24 jack poster reminded me of my "chuck norris fact generator" quote for yesterday which was: "according to Einstines theory of relativity Chuck Norris can round house kick you yesterday."

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Diane Meyer said...

Hey Dan,
Dan Brose was here at our house over the weekend (apparently he just dropped in for our family BBQ...from Burundi)
Anyway he downloaded Seth's "Dannyboy" video onto my computer. Have you seen it? Good work. It kinda sucked all the fun out of our get-together, but watching Dan rock out on Guitar Hero on X-box helped bring some joy back.
I asked Dan to ask Seth if I can upload the video onto our blog, so hopefully I can do that.
Your blog is fun. Hope you got the house painted.
Diane Meyer (Dan B.'s sis-in-law)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home