Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Summer

So, Summer is here, even though I am sitting in class right now. I am taking a week-long class through 1 Corinthians. It has been good so far. I am glad that this week is the only class I am taking during the Summer. It's good to have some time off.
Here are some things that I have enjoyed so far during this particular Summer:
1. The Park. It has been fun to get back outside with Mattew and take him to the park. He is getting more and more aventurous.
2. Darts. Once the weather gets nice I can take the dartboard out of the garage and put it up. I enjoy throwing them by myself. On top of that, Matthew loves to come outside and watch me throw. Best of all, though, is having the college students over and playing. Last Saturday a bunch of the guys came over and we did a couple of dart tournaments (although I had to do them in the garage because of weather). We played 301 and it was an absolute blast. We even had some sudden death overtimes. Good stuff. Lots of fun.
3. Reading. I get to read what I want now that school is out. I finished Bonhoffer's The Cost of Discipleship. I also read Telling the Truth by Buechner. Both were really great. It took me about three weeks to wade through Bonhoffer, but it was well worth it. Then I read Velvet Elvis in two days (and I did not spend much time on those two days reading it). It was a much faster read, and that was refreshing. Interesting. I liked a lot of it, loved some of it, and disliked a few of the parts. I guess that makes for a good read. Now I am reading some of the early works of the Church Fathers.
4. Family Time. It has been good to be able to be at home and not have to always be hiding away to get in some study time. We've got to take some trips to Borders, go for some walks, and then just hang at home.
5. Summer of Romance. Our church has been having a Summer focus on marriages. Karina and I got to go to a marraige conference that our church hosted back in May. Then last night our church started an 8-week series through Love and Respect. We attended and it was good. It will be fun to get to do that together.
6. Movies. We saw Spiderman 3, and I thought that was okay. We are going to try to get out to see Ocean's 13.
7. Vacation. Can't wait until July when we will meet up with Mom and Dad, Dave and Ami and Hadleigh (and new baby girl cuz), and Chris and Rubie. Napa Valley. Chilling. Meeting my neice. Can't wait.
Hope Summer is treating you well.

4 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger DK said...

I would recommend not wasting your time/money on Oceans 13. It was entertaining for sure, but I thought it was a let down, even after Oceans 12.

You decide a middle name for Jack yet? JR does have a nice ring to it. ;)

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I love seeing Peace Like a River in your list of books. It's still one of my faves.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Sorry to bug you with another comment, but you might just want to check out our blog.
I think that baseball is one of my favorite things about summer. I remember loving walking around the Moorpark campus in the late spring and hearing the clinking of baseball bats... Anywho, check it out!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger oregonfatts said...

I love 301 and 501. I grew up playing darts in my basement... chalk up another bonding point for us Dan. For times like this, I reserve the word: fantazmo. It's slightly better than fantastic, with a minty cool freshness. You're the man. much love, seth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home